Sunday, March 29, 2015

"M10 - The Ethics of Photojournalism"

"M10 - The Ethics of Photojournalism"
A.    The ethics/photojournalism controversy that I decided to choose was the i

mage in the New York Post called “Doomed” And this picture was of a man who was pushed on the subway track and the photographer snapped a picture seconds before this man’s death. The man in the image was 58-year old Queens resident Ki Suk Han. He was reportedly pushed onto the tracks at 12:30pm by a panhandler who had been harassing passersby. Han had approached the man in an attempt to calm him down. The controversy that this photo caused wasn't of any photojournalism ethics but just normal human consideration. And that is if you see someone facing death and it could be prevented you would more than likely help, instead of catching the last of their life on camera.




Photo By: R. Umar Abassi

B.     For certain situations this varies, because in the image it may seem like you can help but truly you cannot. For example, war images with little kids. There’s only so much that we know through the image, the “innocent” kid could have a bomb strapped that the camera doesn't show. But as far as this “doomed” image, I could be wrong but it seemed like someone could have helped. Like said in an article, “Sickening rubber-necking front page from the New York Post. Imagine how this man’s family feels.” Thinking of it in that way really makes you think, imagine seeing a close one of yours being on that front cover.




Photo by: R. Umar Abassi

C.     With some of my views being a volunteer, optimistic and level headed , looking at this controversy, it’s challenging. It’s one thing to talk about it and another to be in that situation. Being in that circumstance that would just be a natural reaction for me to help, the last thing to be honest would be for me to take a picture. Just thinking of taking a picture like this is calling for controversy in my opinion. It’s also saddening because you know that you could have changed the result.


D.    And simply comparing this controversy with my personal ethics, this guy did not make any attempt to help. Instead he took the picture, although this was his job but with him doing that he ultimately witnessed a death. With my personal ethics I would have went to help even if that meant I wouldn't capture a picture at all that day but I know that I saved a life. That’s satisfying enough and truly I feel that people would be happier with me coming away with that rather than a front cover photo. Honestly there isn't anything that I could compare my ethics within the controversy that this photographer took part in. 


No comments:

Post a Comment