Sunday, April 12, 2015

What Motivates Photojournalists?

Image by: Danny Pata

Xyza Cruz Bacani is a Filipino female photographer who has an interesting perspective to her.  She was once a main in Hong Kong and now is a scholar for New York-based photojournalism foundation. Many people have different reasons as to why they pursue their dreams, but her perception was heart-felt. “I want my photographyto be able to help people, to me photography is a very powerful tool to changesomeone’s perspective toward an issue.” And seeing where she has come from, allowing photography to be apart of that will make people more aware of similar stories. What I see through her motivation is that she wanted to tell her story through her profession. And that will carry with her through life because there will always be stories going on throughout the world.

Image by: Xyza Cruz Bacani

 



Philip Jones Griffiths was known as a war photographer for the Vietnam War.,  and he left with his final words of how he wanted to be remembered. “There’s a issue with photography in general, I want to be somebody who takes real pictures for real people. That’s what my ambition in life is.” With that being said this just goes to show that people have been fabricating pictures for a long time. This isn’t something that has just happened, but there are people who are true to what they want you to see. In his situation you can see that he wanted to be original, you learn that he was true to his work and wanted people to see that.





Image Source: https://skyehorner.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/philip-jones-griffiths53.jpg
Image by: Philip Jones Griffiths

The next photographer was Dorothea Lange, and she was known for writing many books and capturing many photos. “Lange had polio, which left her with a withered lower right leg and a twisted, crabbed foot. Lange’s disability meant that she could not put her heel down as she walked. Lange was a strong woman, physically and emotionally. She was ambitious at a time when women weren’t supposed to be.” With reading this it was evident that she was a courageous woman who went against the odd just to enjoy her love, which was photography. She was a tough person, you learn that even through her hard situation she had enough self-motivation to continue with her passion.


Image by: Unknown



Image by: Dorothea Lange


With looking at my motivations and comparing them to photojournalists I find some differences and similarities. With the similarities, I noticed that with the photojournalists, their motivations come from very old experiences.  For example,  XyzaCruz Bacani lived a difficult life growing up so she was motivated to capture the experiences of others in similar situations. And with my motivations it’s the same way because I live threw the past in the sense that I just need the reminder to not let something happen again in the same way it did.. The differences are that these photojournalist’s motivations pertains to their occupation, while my motivations is simply towards being successful at this point in my life. I feel as though once I get into my career though, I will still have these same motivations to keep me fueled.  
                                           Image by: Devonte' Dillion

No comments:

Post a Comment